Professionals ask for the business. Amateurs do not.
Professionals know they will often be refused. Amateurs avoid the possibility.
Professionals move on. Amateurs move over.
The choice is yours. Are you a professional … or are you an amateur?
Here are a few facts based on my 40 plus years of working in the sales arena.
- Some people are going to think you are pushy no matter what you say or do.
- Some people are going to tell you to “buzz-off.”
- Some people are going to threaten to call the cops.
- Some people are lazy, and although they are looking at you straight in the eye, they don’t have a clue what you just said to them or asked them to do.
- Some people will be reluctant to do business with you, but they will smile, nod and agree with you throughout your presentation.
- Some people will be glad you asked for their business … others will take offense.
- Some people won’t even wait for you to ask. They will plead with you to take their money.
- Some people are looking for someone just like you who knows what they are talking about.
- Some people are shy and are depending on you to make the first move.
- Some people just don’t know what to say or what to do.
- Some people are really glad that you came upon the scene.
The truth is that many people will need you and the service you provide. But most people won’t. At least, not at first.
This is what makes the world such a fun place to hang around. It takes all kinds.
As long as you are not a crook, thug, creep or a dishonest ex-con, you have nothing to apologize for when offering your professional assistance. My sage advice to you is to “stick to your knitting” and continue to do what is in the best interest of your prospects and customers ….ASK FOR THEIR BUSINESS.
Today, and for the rest of this year, get up; get out; and mix with the people in your target market. Keep your head high and keep asking for their business.